Friday, February 22, 2008

New York City Rick Rack


Last November I had the chance to spend one precious day in NYC. After my very calm and uneventful bus ride into the city at 6:00 a.m. (the ride home was a whole different story involving a broken down bus on the NJ turnpike and some Borat like characters) I had a fabulous NYC bagel, a walk up 5th Ave to the Metropoloitan Museum where I took in the Rembrandt exhibit, some more people watching and then a whole 4 hours to look and shop in every fabric and trim shop on 38th st. Heaven.

I found one that I could afford and spent my time fondling every spool of ribbon and the marked down zippers and crazyl little iron on patches and finally made it to the back of the store where they had every color of rick rack hanging from spools on the wall. We don't have all those colors of rick rack in Georgia! And it was all cotton and they had all the sizes and some was really wide and then they had the really tiny stuff. I bought 5 yards of medium size gray rick rack.

So when I was sitting on my broken down bus on the side of the NJ turnpike looking through my stash of newly purchased trims and waiting for my friend to pick me up, I wondered, "Why did I buy medium size gray rick rack? Of all the color choices? Why?"

Well, I finally got my answer today when I needed medium gray rick rack to complement the hankie I used on this purse I'm making for a custom order. If you are patient, your rick rack questions will be answered.

1 comment:

Marybateman said...

You are the epitomy of self control. I would have bought it all and spent way more money then I had. You knew the destiny of the rick rack, oh wise one.