Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pickle Purgatory




Ever since I ate the last homemade "Gram's Famous Pickle" from the pickle jar I have been gearing up that this year will be the year I take on the task of canning pickles. Mom and Dad gave me the canner last year for Christmas (a classic don't give a man a fish, give him a fishing pole move) but I just let the timing slip by and didn't get it done.

But this year with the help and support of my neighbor JoAnne (who has been growing cucumbers for this purpose) we did it! We put up our first batch of dill pickles! and they look promising! But alas, we are in pickle purgatory since we have to wait 3 weeks to see how they turned out.

We were so proud of ourselves we spent the rest of the afternoon celebrating with margaritas and cucumber sandwiches. What a perfect day. Of course it got really late and I had to order pizza for dinner so essentially, all I got done yesterday was make 10 jars of pickles. And have a good time.

I do love summer.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Cucumber sandwiches - Yum!

Marybateman said...

You better invite me next time. I would most definately take the day off of work for that!!!!! Did I mention that I love Margaritas!!!!