Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Courting Quilt


I woke up this morning thinking about this picture. This is the quilt that Alex made during the first year we were dating. And then finished the first year we were married. My friend Claire dubbed it "The Courting Quilt."

When I met Alex, his idea was to live on a sailboat and make quilts while he was out at sea, and then pull in to port and set up shop and sell them to tourists. Our first official date was to go and find him a sewing machine at a flea market. I know we did this, but I don't know what ever happened to the machine, or how he got it home since his mode of transportation was motorcycle.

Well, all I can say is that I'm glad he had Aerospace Engineering as a backup, because I know firsthand how hard it is making a living selling my handmade goods. And as I write this I'm thinking, "is this the same Dad who is telling his son an Art degree is far fetched?"

2 comments:

Kim said...

OK, now you're just rubbing it in - women are going to start lining up outside your house just to get a peek at your amazing husband. That story almost brought tears to my eyes.

Marybateman said...

Now I know what Alex can do for income when you are cruising! You'll be rich!