Thursday, February 12, 2009

Felting Hagrid's Sweater


I had an extra half an hour today between obligations in Atlanta so of course I seized the opportunity to pop into the thrift store. I found a couple of great sweaters, and then there is this one. The GIANT snowflake sweater.
The funniest thing is, the tag says Medium.

Medium!!!

This sweater is enormous. I can just see Hagrid of Harry Potter fame sitting in his cabin feeding his baby dragon on Christmas eve wearing his favorite snowflake sweater. Of course he would call it his "snowflake jumper" being from England and all.
I'm going to try to felt this tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous though, because red dye is the worst (just ask Jordi about his "Inca Cola" T-shirt and 2 years worth of pink socks) and I fear this will be a red and pink snowflake sweater after the first wash. I can already envision 3 purses that I want to make from it so I really don't want to ruin it. Although maybe it will be pretty in pink and red.
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

WilleWorks.com said...

Sometime with a sweater like this one I deconstruct the sweater first and sew the edges before felting. I know it is more time but I can control the bleeding of the red onto the white. I would cut this baby in half and felt the mostly red and white pieces separately.

Kim said...

I WANT that sweater! It is gorgeous! And thanks to my years as a sumo wrestler, it would fit!

I thought you were going to go further with the "Pretty in Pink" reference.

Oh, maybe that was just me reminiscing