Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Practice Student



I've decided to put on the teacher hat in earnest. Thanks to Beehive Co-op and my friend Mary Sweeney of Felted Heart I have several opportunities and classes filling up for August.

I can sew with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back, but teaching others how to sew and explaining things clearly and well can be challenging. So I decided a little practice would be good.

Eric kindly volunteered to be a practice student.

I hope all my students are as good as he is! He picked up on how to handle the machine in an instant. I have worked with other 3rd grade students (all girls) and they have been great, but boys love machines! I started thinking, we need more cool projects for boys because there is a machine involved in sewing and that is fun for them.

So far he has made a Nintendo DS case (it quickly disappeared into the depths of his room so I haven't photographed it) complete with freehand embellishment and has finished a quilt for the cat and is waiting for me to put the binding on so he can finish it by hand.

I know I am his Mom and a little biased, but he has knocked my socks off with his sewing aptitude. Alex said, "Good! he can make sails for the boat!"

1 comment:

Kim said...

The pictures of Eric sewing are wonderful. You should hang them in your sewing room.